Mission/History - UNFINISHED PAGE HIDDEN
Serving people of all backgrounds and at every age and stage of life, the Mandell Jewish Community Center is a gathering place and resource for the Hartford region. The JCC provides recreational, cultural, educational, and social programs designed to promote physical, intellectual, and spiritual well-being of its members and others who participate. As a center where all are welcome, our mission is rooted in a fundamental commitment to inclusivity and in universal Jewish values. We work to build community, cultural identity, and bridges of understanding by celebrating diversity and fostering appreciation for Jewish culture and heritage.
First YMHA in Hartford; followed by YWHA in 1891.
Talmud Torah building on Pleasant Street was site of the Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association. Maintained Sunday school and offered a program of social, educational, and athletic activities; Hebrew, Bible and Jewish history.
Hartford Y closes its doors briefly and relocates to rented facilities at 320 Ann Street. Varied programs including athletics, which produced many city/state championships in the 1920's and early 30's. Depression lays claim to the Y, closes its doors in the mid 1930's.
The Jewish Center Association (formerly the "Y") surfaces again in the early 1940's, this time as the Jewish Social Service, 91 Vine Street. After-school clubs and activities for youngsters not quite old enough for military service offered. Athletics took place in parks and rented gymnasia.
Program flourishes and Center makes a major move to a converted mansion at 1015 Asylum Avenue in 1949, purchased by Hartford Jewish Federation. Mid-1950's, the Ann Randall Arts Committee launches its rich arts program. Center's day camp, which had been using local park facilities, expands to the operation of Camp Shalom, New Hartford. Nursery and Camp Shalom begin 1954. First Sunday school for learning disabled, 1957.
Late 1950's, membership is at an all time high and programs/services are expanding. Search for a larger Center home begins and in 1959, land is purchased for the new building, located at 335 Bloomfield Avenue in West Hartford; designed by famed architect Walter Gropius and Architects Collaborative. The building is dedicated in 1962.
Life is still in session at the Center, 100 years after its auspicious beginnings. The Center is a significant force in the life of the Greater Hartford community. It is a place where people of all ages and stages can make new friends, develop new skills, explore new interests and strengthen their Jewish identity. Our fitness facility includes the Hoffman Field House, Saint Francis Care Wellness Complex, Siegal/Levy Gymnasium and the Mount Sinai Rehabilitation Hospital Physical Therapy Center. Offering hundreds of programs and services, the Mandell JCC is the place to be. It is a place that's warm and inclusive. It is a place to belong. And most importantly – it is a place to call your own.